Holy Redeemer Parish
P.O. Box 1108  A2H 6T2

Lectures Schedule
Ministry Schedule

Last Updated:

Developed & Hosted By

Volunteer Webmaster Since 2010

Robert Collins


Welcome to Holy Redeemer Parish, Corner Brook


Holy Redeemer Parish was established in 1926. Monsignor Walter Brennan was the first parish priest. Before 1926 the Corner Brook area was part of Sacred Heart Parish Curling which was established in 1884.

In 1927, Most Reverend. Henry T. Renouf, the Bishop of the Diocese of St. George’s, at the request of Father Walter Brennan, asked the Sisters of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary (PBVM) to take care of the educational needs of the parish. A community of six Sisters with Mother M. Xavier as Superior was appointed. On October 2, 1927 a new convent, dedicated to the Sacred Heart, was blessed. St. Henry’s school, called after Bishop Renouf, opened on October 10.

Father Michael Hayes came as an assistant to the parish in 1928. In 1931, due to the shortage of priests in the diocese, Bishop Renouf asked the Priests of the Congregation of the Most Holy Redeemer (CSSR) (Redemptorists) to administer the parish. Mount Bernard Ave, where the cathedral is presently located, was called after Father Bernard Coffey, the first Redemptorist pastor of the parish.

From 1926 to 1956 St. Henry’s Chapel in Townsite, served as the parish church. In 1946 the seat of the diocese, situated until then in St. George’s, was officially transferred to Corner Brook Shortly after the arrival of Bishop Michael O’Reilly in 1947, plans were made to build a new cathedral. In 1956 the cathedral on Mount Bernard was officially opened and blessed. The title Immaculate Conception was added to the official title of the parish as the first church on Sandy Point, which served as the pro-cathedral for a while, was named Immaculate Conception. The official title then became, Parish of the Most Holy Redeemer and of the Immaculate Conception.

The Redemptorists moved to St. George’s in 1947 and Father Leo J. Drake became the rector of the Cathedral parish. He was succeeded by Father Charles Costello. The Irish Christian Brothers arrived in the parish in September, 1954, with Brother A.F. Brennan as Superior and as principal of Regina High School. In more recent years, for a brief time, the Sisters of the Holy Rosary and a Sister of the Immaculate Heart of Mary served in the parish.

Latest News

> Bishop Bart - Christmas Message 2023

> Bishop Bart - Response to innocent

   June 1, 2023

> Bishop Bart - Daughters of St Paul - 

   June 1, 2023

> Pope Francis Message - World Day of

   the Sick - January 17, 2023


Mass for the week:


Saturday 5:00 p.m. Sunday 11:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.

Reconciliation: Saturday 1:00 to 2:00 p.m. or upon request (in the sacristy)


Mass During the Week : Monday to Friday 9:30 a.m. at Holy Redeemer Parish  


Although Mass is offered for everyone, the presiding priest agrees to pray for particular intentions which have been requested. You may also add special intentions by letting us know in advance. Weekday Mass Intentions will reschedule in the event of a funeral. When Mass is cancelled as schools are closed due to inclement weather, the Mass will be celebrated via Live-Stream.






HELP NEEDED: Holy Redeemer Parish is

currently looking for volunteers to help with the cleaning of the Cathedral, that is, the cleaning of the washrooms, the emptying of the garbage bins and the filling of soap dispensers. The reason for this request is that, due to financial constraints, the parish no longer has a custodian to look after these tasks. Anyone interested in lending a hand please call the parish office at 634-5161 or email us at info.hrp@nl.rogers.com


PLEASE NOTE: When inclement weather cancels or delays school opening, Mass for that day is automatically cancelled.







2004 - 2012 Holy Redeemer Parish and its licensors. All Rights Reserved.